How To Cold Start Dab And Use WaxNax Inserts With Our Favorite Devices
By Connor Anderson
- The Cold Start dabbing method involves heating the banger prior to applying the dab, which produces smoother, healthier, and tastier hits than the traditional dabbing method.
- WaxNax inserts are compatible with most dab rigs and nectar collectors, torch-heated and electric-heated. Our favorites are the MJArsenal Mini Jig Dab Rig, the PuffCo Peak, the Kandypens Oura, the HuniBadger, and the Dip Device Dipper. Read on for instructions on how to use them with WaxNax inserts.
- New to dabbing and want to learn more? Need a quick refresher course? Our last blog takes you through an introduction to dabbing.
Cold Start Dabs
What is a Cold Start dab?
Cold Start (or reverse) dabbing is a streamlined dabbing method. Rather than heating the banger and then inserting the dab (the method we call traditional dabbing), in cold start dabbing, you place the dab directly on the banger and then apply the heat.
The cold start method keeps temperatures low to prevent concentrate from overheating. This ensures smooth, flavorful hits that don’t produce the harmful chemicals and frequent coughing bouts often generated by the traditional method. (Go to our last blog for traditional dabbing instructions).
While it is possible to cold-start dab using the traditional method, the process works better with WaxNax inserts. The inserts act as heat and material barriers that eliminate wasted concentrate. They prevent concentrate from burning off too quickly, save dabs from melting off into the water chamber, and eliminate rig cleaning.
Why is the Cold Start Method Better than Traditional Dabbing?
The Cold Start method provides more healthy, tasty, and smooth hits than the traditional method. The below video is a side-by-side comparison of the two methods. Read below for more information on what makes the Cold Start method superior.
As discussed in a prior blog, research has shown that dabs produce dangerous chemicals called carcinogens when too much heat is applied.
It is easy to apply too much heat when using the traditional dabbing method with torch-heated rigs. And it is almost impossible to know when too much heat is applied prior to taking the hit.
The cold-start method makes it easy to tell when the optimal temperature is reached. When you see the concentrate reach its boiling point, you know it’s hot enough to hit.
Vapor Quality and Taste
When too much heat is applied, as is often the case with traditional dabbing, the vapor’s high temperature makes it taste burnt and forces users into uncomfortable coughing bouts.
Our cold start dabbing method, on the other hand, produces low temperature dabs. At these low temperatures, you experience clean, smooth hits that retain robust flavor profiles.
The varying but often high temperatures used in traditional dabbing can cause a portion of the dab to burn off when it is applied to the overheated nail. The cold start method keeps temperatures low to ensure minimal amounts of concentrate are wasted.
Furthermore, using our WaxNax inserts with the cold start method keeps the concentrate confined to the insert. You don’t have to worry about concentrate melting into the water chamber.
Cold Start Dabbing: Step-by-Step Instructions
WaxNax inserts make cold start dabbing easy, convenient, and clean. The following instructions guide you through cold start dabbing WaxNax inserts using a traditional dab rig. For beginner dabbers, we recommend a mini dab rig from MJ Arsenal, featured in the video below. They’re high quality and affordable!
- Prepare it. Open up your pack of WaxNax inserts and place the carb cap nearby.
- Insert it. Use the tweezers to remove an insert from the WaxNax box and place it on the nail.
- Heat it. Use the torch to heat the nail and insert until the concentrate bubbles and vapor begins to rise.
- Dab it. Place your mouth over the rig’s mouthpiece and begin to inhale.
- Cap it. Place the carb cap over the nail and adjust to guide airflow. This prolongs the session and traps the heat to allow for breaks between hits.
- Exhale it. When you’ve taken your desired hit, exhale the vapor.
- Reheat it. If there are leftovers in the insert, you have two options. 1) Use the tweezers to remove the insert and place it in the WaxNax container for later sessions, or 2) leave the insert in the nail and repeat steps 3-to-6 when you’re ready for another hit.
- Remove it. When the insert is empty, use the tweezers to remove the insert and place it in an ashtray.
How To Use WaxNax Inserts With Compatible Devices
WaxNax is compatible with most traditional-heating and electric-heating rigs and nectar collectors. Below you will find step-by-step instructions on how to dab WaxNax inserts using our favorite electric rigs and nectar collectors. These include all devices featured in the above video: the PuffCo Peak, the Kandypens Oura, the HuniBadger Portable Device, and the Dip Device Dipper.
PuffCo manufactures electric heating dab rigs, which eliminate the need for a torch and ensure you’re dabbing at the right temperature. Here, we show you how to use our favorite Puffco device, the PuffCo Peak.
- Prepare it. Prior to heating, make sure your device is charged and the water chamber is full. Then, turn on your Puffco Peak and adjust the heat setting to your preferred temperature. Pro tip: we find that the lowest heat setting (white level) produces the most optimal hits.
- Insert it. Use the tweezers to place a WaxNax insert in the chamber (banger) and place the provided carb cap over the chamber.
- Heat it. Double-click the power button to start the heating process. It takes 20 seconds to heat up. The power button will blink three times and the rig will vibrate, letting you know it’s ready to hit.
- Dab it. After the power button blinks, inhale gently and remove the carb cap. Put the carb cap back on the nail when you exhale to prolong the session and adjust the cap to guide airflow.
- Reheat it. If more concentrate is left in the insert and you’re ready for another hit, repeat steps 3 and 4. If you are done with the session, use the tweezers to remove the insert and place it back in the WaxNax container for future sessions.
- Dispose it. When the insert is empty, use the tweezers to remove it and place it in your ashtray.
KandyPens manufactures electric dab rigs, nectar collectors, and vapes. Our favorite is the KandyPens Oura device, an electric dab rig similar to the PuffCo Peak. Rather than using a button like the Peak, the Oura uses a touch sensor.
- Prepare it. Assemble the Oura.
- Take out the atomizer (electric nail) with the silicone cover left on. Screw it into the chamber until it is secure.
- Slip the carb cap strap around the atomizer.
- Fill the glass attachment with water.
- Screw the glass attachment onto the battery base.
- Insert it. Use the tweezers to place a WaxNax insert in the Oura atomizer.
- Heat it. Turn the device on and begin heating.
- Tap the button five times to turn on the Oura.
- Tap the button three times to adjust temperature.
- Tap the button two times to begin heating. The LED button will flash when it has reached your chosen temperature. Heat-up times range from 5-to-15 seconds.
- Dab it. Once vapor rises from the carb cap and the LED begins to flash, it’s ready to hit. Place your mouth on the mouthpiece and inhale. Adjust the carb cap for airflow. Once the Oura vibrates, your one-minute session has ended.
- Reheat it. If more concentrate is left in the insert and you’re ready for another hit, repeat steps 3 and 4. If you’re finished with your session, use the tweezers to remove the insert and place it in the WaxNax container for future sessions.
- Remove it. When the insert is empty, use the tweezers to remove and dispose of it in your ashtray.
Huni Badger Portable Device
Huni Badger designs and manufactures electric nectar collectors. The Huni Badger Portable Device is an extremely portable and easy-to-use electric nectar collector. A nectar collector is a portable dab rig that functions similarly to a straw (introductory information on nectar collectors can be found in our last blog).
- Prepare it. Assemble the parts and prepare the hit.
- Pull off the magnetic battery cover on the side of the Huni Badger and install the battery.
- Pull off the magnetic cap on the bottom of the Huni Badger and remove the mouthpiece and HuniPot from within.
- Slide open the dust cover on the top of the Huni Badger and screw the mouthpiece onto the airway.
- Open up your WaxNax container to reveal the inserts. No need to remove them– you can take the hit straight out the box.
- Heat it. Press the power button 5 times to turn on the Huni Badger. Heating begins automatically and takes about 10 seconds.
- Dab it. Place your mouth over the mouthpiece and dip the Huni Badger’s tip into one of the inserts as you slowly inhale.
- Exhale it. Once you’ve had your desired hit, remove the tip from the insert and exhale. If you want another hit, place the tip back in the insert and inhale. The device will automatically turn off after one minute.
- Reheat it. If you’d like to continue the session and there is concentrate left in the insert, or if you’ve finished the insert and are ready to take another hit, press the power button five times to start reheating. Then, repeat step 3.
- Dispose it. Once the insert is finished, either use the tweezer to remove it from the WaxNax container and dispose of it in your ashtray, or leave it in the container until you’ve finished all the inserts. Then, dump them in your ashtray and repurpose the container for storage purposes.
Dip Devices Dipper
Dip Devices sells electric nectar collectors and vaporizers. The Dipper is a highly versatile nectar collector. It can be used as a vape, as an electric nail attachment for bongs and rigs, or as an electric nectar collector (this video shows you how). Here we provide instructions on how to use the Dipper as an electric nectar collector.
- Prepare it.
- Charge the Dipper
- Remove the vapor tip atomizer and screw it to the bottom of the Dipper.
- Open up your WaxNax container.
- Dab it. Place your mouth over the mouthpiece and gently graze the concentrate in the WaxNax insert while holding down the button and inhaling. No preheating needed. Pro tip: toke slowly for the best results.
- Exhale it. When you’ve taken your desired hit, exhale the vapor. When ready for another hit, repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Dispose it. Once the insert is empty, either use the tweezer to remove it from the WaxNax container and dispose of it in your ashtray, or leave it in the container until you’ve finished all the inserts. Then, dump them in your ashtray and use the container for storage purposes.